Workshop by George Gadanidis (Western), 5 May 2021
B. GRADE 9 DESTREAMED
- what happened last time around?
- what are some key directions this time around?
C. WHAT CHANGED IN GRADES 1-8?
- coding expectations
- math expectations
- math + coding in each of grades:
D. MATH + CODING IN SECONDARY SCHOOL
- playing with linear relations (Python) — https://learnx.ca/linear2 (hands-on)
- finding primes (Scratch) — https://learnx.ca/primes1 (hands-on)
- modelling civilization & sustainable growth (hands-on)
- Python — growth & civilization — https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1D1PF_UBaUB4ym5RSHp0N0A2yGcrg2Dm9#scrollTo=vfIiooAyfBpZ
- coding app — sustainable growth — https://learnx.ca/growth
E. BIG PICTURE
- teach math, not coding
- tell a good math story
- aim for a low floor & a high ceiling
|LOW FLOOR||HIGH CEILING|
|Linear relations in gr. 1/2||Interview with applied mathematician Lindi Wahl|
|Infinity & limit in gr. 3||Interview with mathematician Graham Denham|
|Circular relations in gr. 3||Circular relations across grades|
- Integrated Mathematics + Computer Science – Grade 10: Reforming Secondary School Mathematics Education
G. WRAP UP
- what did you learn?
- what else do you want to know?