We are excited to offer support for our resources!
MATH + CODING, 1-8
Designed to serve as a base lesson plan — a set of activities to select from and adapt — for diverse learning settings (f2f, hybrid, online, parents/children).
- Grades 1-2: geometric/motion patterns & rules; sequential & concurrent events
- Grades 3-4: shapes, angles, repeating patterns, variables; repeating & nested events
- Grades 5-6: algebraic expressions, inequalities; conditional statements
- Grades 7-8: linear/non-linear relationships; sub-programs, code efficiency, data analysis
OTHER WORKSHOPS, gr. 1-8
Professional learning workshops. Hands-on, online. Contact: email@example.com
MATH + MAKING, 1-8
Professional learning workshops, from the Ontario Tech U Maker lab. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- GENERAL SUPPORT
- MATH + CODING SUPPORT
1. LESSONS LEARNED FROM CLASSROOMS
by George Gadanidis
2. FIVE As FOR CODING & MATH
The affordances of modelling math with code (6 min.) by George Gadanidis
3. REPEATING PATTERNS
Computational Modelling in Elementary Mathematics Education – Making Sense of Coding in Elementary Classrooms (May 2018). Read the White Paper by MKN Computational Modelling CoP members, George Gadanidis (Western University) and Beverly Caswell (Robertson Program, OISE/UT).
See videos of lesson studies in Grades 1-3 classrooms on this theme, from the Ontario Math Knowledge Network.
4. ODD & EVEN NUMBER PATTERNS
Where do even numbers hide?
Math worth talking about
A song based on teacher comments as they learned about odds and evens
Odds & evens poster
5. INFINITY & FRACTIONS
About this module by George Gadanidis (3 min.)
You can hold infinity in your hand!
Infinity at the AI Academy
Math Shadow [parody of Moon Shadow]
About this module by George Gadanidis (4.5 min.)
7. MAKING 10
See also this Making 10 presentation.
Making 10 poster
See the story The Pleasure of Making 10 at https://learnx.ca/wonder/rene-descartes/, featuring Rene Descartes, who said “I think, therefore I am”.
Did Rene Descartes really exist?
Or was he a figment of his own imagination?
8. CODING IN THE ONTARIO 1-8 MATH CURRICULUM
- GRADE 1 – sequential events (0:43)
- GRADE 2 – sequential and concurrent events (1:36)
- GRADE 3 – sequential, concurrent and repeating events (2:52)
- GRADE 4 – sequential, concurrent, repeating and nested events (3:41)
- GRADE 5 – conditional statements and other control structures (4:40)
- GRADE 6 – efficient code (5:49)
- GRADE 7 – defined count and/or subprogram and other control structures (7:08)
- GRADE 8 – analysis of data (9:30)